07 April 2007

gender/sex justice

After posting the previous missive, with it's rant on the confusion of gender and sex in American writing, I realized that my profile lists "gender justice" as one of my interests. I could make a long defense of how I was using it correctly, but, really, I wasn't. I'll just claim the right to be inconsistent, as I like the alliteration of "gender justice" that is missing in "sex justice", even though the latter may be more strictly correct.

As to a definition, I use gender justice to mean treating a person respectfully, recognizing her or his inherent worth, and offering opportunities, without respect to sex.

Or, if you prefer a Christian context for the definition, try this one, borrowed from Gal328.org, and edited:

Gender justice means recognizing that men and women are created by God, redeemed by Christ, and gifted by the Spirit truly without distinction or partiality. In Christian community, gender justice means encouraging both men and women to exercise their Spirit-given gifts in the church’s work, worship, and leadership, and celebrating the truth that the Spirit grants such gifts without respect to gender.

1 comment:

James Diggs said...

I wasn’t sure what was meant by “gender justice”, but I like your definition.

Peace,

James